Purina EN is one of our featured diets, both at the Orrville Veterinary Clinic and the Orrville Pet Spa and Resort. Purina EN is the main diet that is fed to dogs and cats who chose to board with us within the hospital or at the Orrville Pet Spa and Resort. Boarding and extended stays create two increased risks for possible gastrointestinal problems: stress and diet change. The stress is due to the change in environment and the lack of familiar routines. The diet change is from their normal diet at home, to our main diet of choice: Purina EN. We chose EN because it is a bland diet. While we don't recommend any abrupt diet changes, it is generally okay to change a pet more abruptly to a new diet that is bland, just like Purina EN. There are a variety of other reasons that we recommend Purina EN, which we will outline below.
Purina EN is specifically designed as a bland diet to assist in recovery of intestinal distress. While EN is not the only treatment for GI distress, it does aide in the recovery process. Oftentimes further therapies and treatments are required. The main principle behind EN is that a bland diet is easier to digest than some of the main commercial pet foods that are available at local pet stores and retailers.
Here is some more detail about the benefits of EN Gastrointestinal Formula:
- EN contains medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). These have smaller molecules than other forms of dietary fat, making them easier to digest than the more common long chain triglycerides (LCTs)
- EN is lower in carbohydrates, especially in the feline formula. Cats are more carnivorous (meat eaters) than herbivores (plant eaters). This means that they are designed to digest proteins easier than carbohydrates.
- EN is high in fat, which aides in the resolution of diarrhea, as well as providing energy and nutrients.
- EN is fortified with various vitamins and minerals. B-complex vitamins are added to contribute to a balanced diet. B vitamins are often times lacking in pets, especially when the liver is involved.
- EN is high in energy. This is especially important in GI cases, since the diet is not being digested normally
- EN undergoes palatability testing. This is basically a taste test. By providing a tasty formula, an animal is more likely to eat even when they feel a little off or nauseous.
- EN has added vitamin E, vitamin C and Omega 3 fatty acids. These are some of the more well known antioxidants.
- EN also has added colostrum to its formula. Colostrum is the first mother's milk, which is high in protein and a good source of stimulation for the immune system.
- EN is low in fiber. Once again, this makes it easier for a dog or cat to digest.
If you have questions as to why we select EN for any reason at all, do not hesitate to ask us. We can be contacted via phone at (330)682-2971 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.